Liquides Imaginaires is an ethereal fragrance entity that lives in that imagined space between reality and fantasy; light and dark. It lives in a “land” beyond boundaries—beyond the tangible and material world.
It instills an emotion that goes beyond the senses and has the potent ability to transform.
Philippe Di Meo And Liquides Imaginaires
Understanding the essence of Liquides Imaginaires would be incomplete without delving into the artistic inspiration of Philippe Di Meo.
It was Philippe’s insatiable curiosity coupled with his adoration of the aquatic that compelled him to conceive of Liquides Imaginaires as more than a brand, and even narrative, but also as an entity unto itself.
Philippe has designed for high names in the art and fashion realms such as Baccarat, Jean Paul Gautier, and others. Phillippe isn’t one to be shackled by boundaries in the creative process.
His first inclination isn’t to sketch but to write. Perfume is literature. In his own words:
If perfume has this ability to fix a precious memory forever; to share an intimate pleasure, or celebrate a sacred ritual, it also has the ability to pass from the shade to the light, to be at the same time the potion and the antidote. It lifts us up, projects us, bewitches us, and can heighten our awareness.
Phillipe’s artistic direction lies in navigating the orchestration of both ideas and people with a narrative that is rife with symbolism.
Curiosity and intuition are from which all concepts are born. Conversely, perfume is a reflection on the future and not the past: it’s all about how you want —and subconsciously long—to feel.
How Did Liquides Imaginaires Start?
The idea for Liquides Imaginaires first materialized in October 2011 at Paris Design Week when Philippe felt the desire to resurrect the origins of perfumery.
He was given a blank canvas and he felt a stirring to create fragrance out of L’Eau Bénite—or in English—holy water.
His quest was to tap into the spiritual dimension to resurrect a glamorous genesis that revolved around the ancient concept of communicating with the Gods.
Over time and with the collaboration of co-founder David Frossard, the endeavor evolved to embody the divine trilogy of virtues. The first of the trilogy embodies sancti, or a sense of purification. Sancti symbolizes all that is innately good.
Then there is fortis, or strength to symbolize the protective power and nature of perfume.
Finally, Liquides Imaginaires plays with the concept of tumultu, or shadow and light, as a means of sensual self-expression.
The Essence of Liquides Imaginaires Explained
Combined, all three elements encapsulate the fragrances with an emotional essence that is enlightening and exquisitely powerful. Together they are elevated to an entity that surpasses perfume to a mystique that is other-worldly and sensually sublime.
Liquides Imaginaires are perfumes that are poetry in motion—the enveloping smoke swirling and surrounding the wearer to collide and carry them to a vibration that surpasses the physical realm.
The liquid matter is the doorway to an odyssey that has origins in ancient times but synergizes itself to the present to take on an entirely new future—one that is exciting and mysterious, but also more in essence with who we are becoming.
It is a new story, a new journey, and an entirely new way of existing. The fragrances pay tribute to old legends, but the lyrics tell a new story and foreshadow a new future.
What Is Perfume Through Smoke?
The word perfume comes from the Latin word perfumum, which literally translates to “through smoke”.
Incense and oils were burned as a way to communicate with the gods and the sublime aroma was believed to call out to them through the mysterious channel of smoke.
Ancient Egyptian priests partook in this temple practice three times a day—using frankincense at dawn, myrrh at midday, and kyphi at dusk—to honor and commune with their gods.
Liquides Imaginaires pays tribute to this particular perfume story because it’s in the conceptual story of perfume that we can understand its past and bring forth its relevance to the present.
What Is The Talisman?
The meaning behind the perfume is represented by the Talisman—the key that unlocks the imaginary world. Our talisman holds magical power; it is symbolic and mysterious. It is about exploration.
The Talisman is a pendulum of opposites. The opposites are contrasting but complementary. An attraction of the masculine and feminine.
What’s Behind The
The Talisman has three pillars or trilogy of fragrances. Every trilogy has three fragrances. The three pillars located at the bottom of the talisman are represented in a story.
Each fragrance is comprised of a trilogy and each story is represented by three fragrances and thus three heroes and three different emotions.
The trilogy is about transformation in a fluid and emotional fashion. It instigates new ways to to take in the current reality and steps into the psychological playground of the imagination.
We access the imagination by staying true to the origin of perfumery.
Liquides Imaginaires Trilogies
The trilogies symbolize a reflection of dynamically opposing forces. There is the profane to the sacred; the flesh to the spirit; and finally, shadow to the light.
Liquides Imaginaires comprises eight trilogies. There are 23 fragrances and one limited edition fragrance.
● Les Eaux Delà - this translates to the “waters beyond.” These fragrances hold a great emotional and sacred power and are composed of three components: Sancti (purity); Fortis (protections); Tumultu (seduction).
● Les Eaux Sanguines - refers to “bloody waters”. This trilogy takes inspiration from holy wines. It is composed of Dom Rosa (pink champagne); Bloody wood or Grand Cru Bourgeois, and Bello Rabelo.
● Les Eaux Imaginaires or the Imaginary Waters is the trilogy that will take you on a journey of imagination and mystical flow. It is comprised of Ile Pourpre (Purple Island); Fleuve Tendre (Tender River); and Désert Suave (Sweet Desert).
● Les Eaux De L’Ame translates to the Water of the Soul and refers to the passions that drive the artist and how he or she shares it with the world. This trilogy is comprised of Beauté du Diable (Beauty of the Devil) and is all about self portraits and your own reflection.
● Les Eaux De L’Est refers to the Water of the East and represents a trio of stories that are a tribute to the East. It is made up of everything that represents the wind: Fleur de Sable (Flower of the Sand); Tapis Volant (The Flying Carpet); and Buveur De Vent (Wind Drinker).
● Les Humeurs refers to The Moods and symbolizes the power of perfume to heighten, balance, and evoke our emotions. This trilogy pays tribute to the father of modern medicine, Hippocrates. This trilogy is composed of Lacrima (Water of the Eyes); Melancolia (Water of the Spirit); and Phantasma (Water of the Lips).
● Les Eaux De Peau - this refers to what is known as the Skin Waters. It is about the fusion of the human and animal worlds. This trilogy comprises Peau de Béte (the skin of the beast); Béte Humaine (human beast); and Blanche Béte (the white beast).
● Les Eaux Des Bermudes which means the Collective Odyssey. This trilogy is an ode to the legends of sea adventures from the odyssey of Ulysses to Shakespeare’s Prospero. It is composed of Sirenis, Navis, and Abyssis.
The Transformative Power Of Perfume
The transformative power of perfume allows the wearer to break open the confines to liberated creativity. It allows us to explore and discover what lies beyond the senses, and how we can channel what we learn to elevate the lives we’re living.
This is where the original conception of perfume is uplifted into its most exciting and sensual nature and used as a vehicle for seduction and self-consciousness.
It invites us to envision perfume past the allure of beauty. It is in this mode that the true power of perfume is unleashed.
Liquides Imaginaires is a portal to enter the sublime world of perfumery to immerse in its ancient origin, and give the divine essences new life in the present time.
The result is a series of re-birth fragrances will carry you to a new future that is more in tune with our higher emotional selves.
The eight trilogies (as well as the limited edition) present many perfumed paths for everyone’s unique and individual journey.